Author: Jackie Stapleton
I am now busy putting all the equipment I need, together. I am conscious of packing light as my aim is to carry between 10kg to 12kg only.
Of course, the trekking company has provided a ‘Gear List’ which I am slowly working my way through. Anyone that knows me well, knows I love a good list.
As with our Kokoda hike, looking at this Gear List I can’t help but refer to Clause 7.1.3 Infrastructure in ISO 9001:2015. This clause states that the organization shall determine, provide and maintain the infrastructure necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity of products and services.
Infrastructure can include equipment ….. ISO 45001.2:2018, Clause 220.127.116.11 states that hazard identification is on-going and proactive taking into account c) routine and non-routine activities and situations, including consideration of:
- Infrastructure, equipment, materials, substances and the physical conditions of the workplace
So, what equipment have I packed so far and most importantly, what equipment have I tested so far! Now that I’ve said the word test, I’m now wondering where that might fit into our management systems world? Where do we test (or check)? We have an entire clause on Performance Evaluation – Clause 9. ISO 9001:2015, Clause 9.1.1 Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation which states that the organization shall determine:
- What needs to be monitored and measured
- The methods for monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation needed to ensure valid results
- When the monitoring and measuring shall be performed
- When the results from monitoring and measurement shall be analysed and evaluated
Sorry, I got distracted there, Standards do that to me …… now for my list of equipment and then HOW did we determine the monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation of these items:
- 30-40 litre backpack
- Walking poles
- Hiking boots
- Hiking socks
- Hiking shorts/pants
- Warm clothing (jackets, thermals, beanies, gloves)
Of course, there’s a lot more than this for me to take, however these are the key pieces of equipment that I have been using and testing in my training.
So, why would I have to test these items? Well, for several reasons:
- Some of them are completely new to me and I need to see whether they are fit for purpose (hiking shorts/pants)
- Some of them are used and I need to ensure that they can still withstand the work they will be doing and will not breakdown (i.e.. Hiking boots)
- Some of them are new pieces of equipment as well, and do they do what they are meant to do?
- And finally, I’m going to be wearing or using these items for 6-8 hours a day for 11 days, so I need to make sure they do the job without causing any issues or breaking on me
Well, I think that helps with moving forward with our training and testing. I will keep you posted and don’t hesitate to share your experiences with us on our social media pages too!
Wir sind bereit!
Thanks for reading. Would you like a 15% discount* on your next Management Systems Auditing course?
Simply use the promo code, MonteRosa, when you reach the payments page during your enrolment to have your discount automatically applied.
*Discount applies to selected courses containing competencies equivalent to Exemplar Global AU, TL, QM, EM, HP, OH & OH 45001, excluding all bridging courses. Full terms and conditions are available here.